I needed a quick dinner one evening before a soccer game (or baseball practice… or somewhere the kids needed to be, so insert sport of choice here…) and I had ground turkey and quinoa. I was at a loss, so Google rescued me. I found this recipe from Spoonful of Flavor and it was a crowd pleaser! The youngest at it burrito style in a tortilla, the oldest preferred his in a hard corn shell taco style, and my husband and I ate the contents as loaded nachos with sour cream, cilantro, and black olive slices. So many options and so quick and easy on a busy night!
- 1/2 pound lean ground turkey
- 1/2 yellow onion, diced (or frozen diced onion if you don’t have a whole onion on hand!)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 4 oz can diced green chilis
- 2 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp cumin
- 3/4 tsp kosher salt
- black pepper, to taste
- 1 15 oz can of black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 14.5 oz can of diced fire roasted tomatoes
- 1/2 cup frozen corn
- 1/4 cup jarred salsa
- 1/2 cup rinsed quinoa (I used rainbow, but any variety will do)
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- cilantro, for garnish
- Spray a large skillet generously with cooking spray and heat over medium-high heat. When the skillet is hot add in the diced onion and cook for about 2 minutes until it starts to soften. Add in the ground turkey and minced garlic and cook until the meat is almost cooked through, breaking it up with a spoon as it cooks. Stir in all the spices and the diced green chiles, cooking for another minute. Add in the black beans, corn, fire roasted tomatoes, salsa and quinoa, stirring until everything is combined.
- When the mixture starts to bubble, add in the water, cover the skillet with a lid, and lower the heat to medium-low. Simmer for about 20-25 minutes or until the quinoa is cooked. It should still have a slight bite to it, but not be hard and crunchy.
- Sprinkle the shredded cheese on top and cover with the lid, cooking until the cheese is melted. Serve as is, in tortillas for tacos, or on top of your favorite greens.
One thought on “Turkey Quinoa Taco Skillet”