Another top recipe straight from the mind of my brilliant should-have-been-a-chef friend. Seriously, girl, quit your day job and don your apron! Again, this girl COOKS, so this recipe isn’t the quick, throw it in and forget it weeknight meals I typically use, but if you’re hungry for the most amazing chicken soup with rice of your life, this one’s worth the work you put in!
- Uncle Ben’s Wild Rice (with packet)
- shredded rotisserie chicken or diced chicken breast
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 4 cloves minced garlic, more or less to taste
- 3 large carrots, peeled and sliced
- 3 ribs celery, chopped
- 1 stick of butter, divided
- 1 32 oz carton of chicken stock
- salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1/4 tsp dried parsley
- 1/4 tsp dried oregano
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 tsp chicken bullion powder or 2 bullion cubes
- 1/2 cup all purpose flour, as needed
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1 tsp lemon zest (or lemon pepper)
- Saute onion, carrots, celery, and garlic in 2-3 Tbsp of butter in large pot or dutch oven on medium-high until soft and fragrant.
- Add chicken stock and 2 cups of water to skillet. Add seasonings and bay leaves and bring to a low boil. Reduce heat to medium or medium low to simmer.
- While simmering, cook Uncle Ben’s Wild Rice according to package directions and set aside.
- Once rice is nearly finished, make a roux in a small pot with the remaining butter, flour, milk, and cream. Melt the butter slowly on medium, then slowly add the dairy products. Slowly mix flour into the melted butter, cream, and milk, and allow to thicken.
- Add thickened roux to simmering soup pot and stir well until combined. If your roux creates lumps in the simmering soup, stir well until lumps dissolve.
- Add cooked rice and chicken to the simmering pot until everything is well combined.
- Remove bay leaves and add lemon zest or lemon pepper.
- Simmer until ready to serve and ejoy!