I had old bananas and started right in on my usual banana bread recipe and realized I had no apple sauce left. I always hate using oil because it just doesn’t taste the same or have the same texture. I opened the pantry and BINGO! Pumpkin! Since it’s fall, pumpkin all the things! In the words of Plato:
“Necessity is the mother of invention.”— Plato
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup pureed pumpkin
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 2 cups flour
- 1 cup mashed bananas (usually about three bananas)
- 3/4 cup chopped nuts or chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Cream together the eggs, pumpkin, and sugar and beat well.
- Add flour, salt, nutmeg, baking powder, and soda which have been sifted together. Stir well.
- Add the crushed bananas and nuts and stir in well.
- Add the batter to a greased loaf pan and sprinkle with flour. Bake for 1 hour. Remove loaf from pan and let cool completely on a wire rack before serving.