Pasta with cream sauce. Say no more 😂 This recipe is great because I usually have all of these ingredients on hand, they come together quickly, and it has great flavor. I adapted this recipe from one I found in Insider.
- 1 lb fresh penne or fusilli pasta
- 1 lb ground turkey
- ¾ cup heavy cream
- 4 sage leaves
- 4 regular shallots (or 2 banana shallots)
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 leeks
- 1 lemon
- A handful of flat-leaf parsley leaves
- Freshly-grated parmesan cheese (for serving)
- 6 tablespoons fresh breadcrumbs
- 2 sage leaves
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Prepare all ingredients by grating or finely chopping the shallots and garlic and set aside. Finely slice leeks and set aside.
- If you plan on freshly preparing your breadcrumbs, prepare those by adding two pieces of torn bread to a food processor and process until finely chopped. Otherwise, use plain breadcrumbs (I prefer Progresso).
- Place a large Dutch oven over medium high heat and add 2 tablespoons of olive oil. Add shallots and garlic to the pot. Allow to cook for 2 minutes, stirring regularly.
- Put a large pot of water on a burner on high heat to prepare to boil the pasta. While pasta water is heating, add chopped sage leaves and ground turkey to the pot and cook 3-4 more minutes until turkey is lightly browned.
- Add leaks to the pasta water once it begins boiling. Allow to boil for approximately one minute before adding pasta to cook. Cook pasta according to package instructions until al dente.
- While pasta is cooking, add cream to the turkey mixture, combine well, and bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer until ready to serve.
- To prepare the breadcrumbs, place a frying pan over medium heat and add 2 tablespoons of oil. Add finely chopped sage leaves to the oil. Mix in breadcrumbs and allow to brown slightly. This happens quickly, so closely watch the breadcrumbs while cooking.
- Drain the pasta and leeks, reserving 2-3 tablespoons of pasta water, and add the pasta and leeks to the turkey sauce.
- Add finely chopped parsley leaves and lemon zest to taste. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Add reserved pasta water if sauce is too thick.
- Serve topped with breadcrumbs and freshly grated Parmesan cheese.