I’ve made these cookies for several years now after finding them from In Katrina’s Kitchen (see her original recipe here!). They were so cute I couldn’t resist trying them myself. These are made from boxed cake mix, so if you love cake cookies, these are for you! I’ve had trouble finding the heart shaped sprinkle candies in the past, but Michael’s or Hobby Lobby seem to always have something in stock that will work for these cookies. I’ll include the link to the ones I used in the ingredient list. Be sure to leave yourself enough time for prep for these as they must be rolled then refrigerated for 20 minutes prior to baking. Keep a close eye on them because they have a very short window to cook to perfectly cakey without burning or being raw in the middle. Most importantly, HAVE FUN making them! This recipe says that it makes 2 dozen cookies, but if you truly use only 1 tablespoon you will have many more than 2 dozen.
- 1 box french vanilla cake mix, dry mix only
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 2 eggs
- green gel food coloring (regular will work as well-if using regular use only one drop and add from there)
- 1/2 cup Powdered sugar, or more for dusting
- heart-shaped sprinkles or candies
- Preheat oven to 350° F.
- In the bowl of your mixer, cream together cake mix, food coloring, oil, and eggs.
- Drop by tablespoon into confectioners sugar and roll the dough covering the entire dough ball.
- Chill dough balls for 20 minutes before transferring to a baking sheet to bake.
- Place on baking sheet and press 1 large heart candy/sprinkle. Some people love them in the center and others love them off to the right like the Grinch’s heart. Be creative!
- Bake for 8-10 minutes until just set.
- Cool 3-4 minutes on pan before removing to cool completely on a wire rack. Sprinkle with more powdered sugar if desired.