Chili is definitely one of my top go-to recipes when I don’t know what to make. If its a little chilly outside (pun intended…), I need a complete meal in a pinch, or if I just don’t know what to make, it’s chili to the rescue!
I adapted this recipe from one I found on Food.com. This recipe is so versatile and can be made using lean ground beef or turkey. I usually decide on what to use based on whatever I have the most of at the time. Use whatever you have on hand! Don’t like kidney beans? Use black beans! Don’t like bell pepper? Don’t add any! Customize it how YOU like it.
- 2 lbs ground turkey or lean ground beef
- 1 onion, chopped (or use diced frozen onion to save time and cleanup!)
- 1 bell pepper, chopped (I usually prefer red or orange, but any color will do!)
- 1 (16 oz) can red kidney beans, undrained
- 1 (16 oz) can black beans, undrained
- 1 (16 oz) can stewed tomatoes, diced
- 1 (6 oz) can tomato paste
- 2 Tbsp chili powder
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp oregano
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 – 2 cups water
- Over medium heat, spray a large dutch oven with non stick cooking spray.
- Saute ground turkey or beef, bell pepper, and onion until lightly browned and onion and pepper are soft.
- Add remaining ingredients and water and stir well.
- Cook covered over medium heat for 30 minutes.
- Serve with shredded cheese, oyster crackers, and sour cream. Enjoy!