Although I love how white Chucks look with a multitude of clothing options, white is not kid friendly. Or accident prone friendly. So, off I searched for a great way to clean these babies. Well, it turns out there isn’t really one great way, so I combined a few that seemed to work well for me, so I hope this method works well for you, too!
- Rubbing alcohol (or nail polish remover-just be careful of the red and blue writing… nail polish remover can remove it!)
- Cotton Ball
- 2 Tbsp baking soda
- 1 Tbsp hydrogen peroxide
- 1 Tbsp warm water
- Old toothbrush
- Oxy Clean White powder laundry detergent
- Lingerie laundry bag or pillow case
- Toilet paper
- Paper towels
- Remove shoestrings from both Converse.
- Soak a cotton ball with rubbing alcohol and rub scuffs or marks on the rubber toe or around the sole to remove any stains or marks.
- Rinse shoes well with cold water.
- Prepare the cleaning solution/paste by mixing the baking soda, hydrogen peroxide, and warm water in a bow. Mix this solution well and add water slowly until it forms a paste. The full amount of water may not be needed or you may need more to create the paste. Apply the paste to each shoe and shoelaces, covering the entire surface of the shoes. Let the shoes and laces sit for 30 minutes with the paste applied.
- Rinse the cleaning paste off of both shoes and shoelaces with cold water.
- Place shoes and shoe laces into a lingerie bag or pillow case and place into the washing machine. Add Oxy Clean White and wash per package instructions in a cold, delicate cycle.
- Promptly remove shoes from the washing machine. Hang the shoelaces to dry.
- Stuff paper towels into each shoe to keep the shape while drying. Wrap a thin layer of toilet paper around each shoe. The thin layer absorbs water, allowing the shoes to dry more quickly, which prevents yellowing of the shoes. Replace the paper towels and toilet paper after a few hours and repeat this process 1-2 more times throughout drying.
- After shoes have dried at least 12 hours, remove the toilet paper and paper towels and allow to fully air dry. Replace laces and wear those beautifully white shoes!