I was searching for some good St. Patrick’s Day foods to go with corned beef and cabbage and while this doesn’t exactly “go” with it, I thought the recipe was pretty interesting, so I decided to try it. The original recipe is from Food Dolls. While this recipe is delicious, it makes A LOT of mac and cheese. The recipe I’ll provide below is the full recipe, but I recommend halving this recipe if you’re not feeding many people. This makes a very large portion, but it’s absolutely delicious!
- 4 cups fresh spinach, packed
- 1/2 cup parsley
- 2 cloves garlic (optional)
- 2 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 3/4 cups whole milk, divided
- 1 lb cooked macaroni pasta
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp black pepper (more or less to taste)
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1/2 cup cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup monterey jack cheese
- 1/2 cup white cheddar cheese
- In a food processor or blender, add spinach, olive oil, parsley, garlic cloves, and 3/4 cup milk. Process until smooth.
- In a large pot, add butter and flour on medium-high heat, cook for about 1-2 minutes or until mixture is a golden color.
- Add WARM milk, and seasonings. Stir until it starts to thicken. Turn heat to low and add cheeses.
- Add “green” sauce and mix until it comes together. Add cooked pasta.