Wedding soup has everything good: great broth, chicken, meatballs, pasta, and hearty vegetables! This soup can be made in the slow cooker or on the stove, so I’ll provide you with my recipe for both options!
- 1 cup onion, finely chopped
- 1 cup carrots, peeled and diced
- 1 cup celery, diced
- 1 Tbsp olive oil (for stovetop recipe)
- 2-3 cloves garlic, minced
- 8 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup water
- 2 tsp Italian seasoning
- Salt, to taste
- Pepper, to taste
- 1 pound frozen mini meatballs, precooked (regular size will work fine as well!)
- 1 cups Acini de pepe pasta, cooked to package instructions
- Cooked diced/shredded chicken, according to taste (optional)
- 1-1.5 cups fresh baby spinach, roughly chopped
- 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese, grated (option for topping)
- Add olive oil to a large Dutch oven or stock pot and heat to medium high heat.
- Add onion, carrots, and celery to the heated pot and sauté vegetables until soft. Add garlic and sauté another 30 seconds or until fragrant.
- Add broth, water, and seasoning to the pot and bring to a low boil. Once the pot has reached a low boil, add frozen meatballs and turn heat to medium-low and allow to simmer covered for an hour or until vegetables are soft and meatballs are heated through.
- While ingredients are simmering, cook Acini de pepe according to package directions and set aside.
- Once all ingredients have simmered, remove soup pot from heat and add diced or shredded chicken and spinach. Stir until spinach is softened. Serve immediately with shredded mozzarella for topping.
Slow Cooker Directions
- Add broth, water, carrots, celery, onion, garlic, and seasoning to a slow cooker. Cook on low 7 hours or high 3 hours.
- Add frozen meatballs to the slow cooker and cook another 30 minutes on high or until meatballs are heated through. Cook Acini de pepe according to package instructions and set aside.
- Add shredded/diced chicken (optional), pasta, and spinach until spinach is softened. Serve immediately with shredded mozzarella.