I have no idea why, but I always forget about sheet pan meals. They’re delicious, healthy, and you can use whatever vegetables and seasonings you happen to have on hand. Today is the first day of fall, sooooo time for fall foods! This recipe is great because you can customize it however you like with whatever vegetables you happen to have on hand. Some great vegetables to use are squashes, brussel sprouts, or even cauliflower or broccoli. You could even use chicken breast or legs instead of thighs. I prefer the chicken thighs because they seem to come out crispy on the outside, but not too dry on the inside. I adapted this recipe from one I found from Flavour and Savour.
- 8 skin on, bone in chicken thighs (any number will do!)
- 2 medium sweet potatoes, cut into approx. 1 inch pieces
- 1 medium zucchini, cut into approx. 1 inch pieces
- small golden potatoes (any amount is fine, whatever you prefer)
- 2 medium shallots, sliced
- 1 honeycrisp, gala, or other sweet apple, sliced with peel on
- 1 Tbsp thyme
- 1 Tbsp rosemary
- sea salt and pepper, to taste
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 Tbsp lemon juice
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 1 tsp dried red pepper flakes
- sea salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
- Add chicken thighs to a plastic Ziploc bag. Whisk all marinade ingredients together in a small bowl and pour the marinade into the Ziploc bag with the chicken thighs. Seal the bag and allow the chicken to marinate in the refrigerator while preparing the vegetables.
- Cut all of the vegetables and fruit into uniform size pieces.
- Spray a sheet pan with cooking spray. Add all vegetables and fruit to the sheet pan.
- Place marinated chicken thighs on top of the vegetables and fruit and pour any extra marinade over the chicken.
- Bake in the oven 35-45 minutes or until the chicken reaches a temperature of 165 degrees F. If you prefer even crispier chicken, place the pan under the broiler for a few minutes after the chicken thighs have fully cooked.