For some strange reason making ribs has always intimidated me. I guess because it’s something other than boring chicken or a roast. Who knows the real reason, but I finally decided to attempt ribs in the crock pot. I bought two racks of baby back ribs a while ago and made one rack in the Instant Pot. I wasn’t particularly impressed, so I wasn’t too thrilled about making the other rack that has been in the freezer making me feel guilty every time I open the freezer door to thaw my (boring) meat for dinner for the past month or so.
I knew there had to be an easier way than the Instant Pot for ribs, so the search was on for a great crock pot recipe. Spend With Pennies NEVER disappoints! I started with their Crock Pot Ribs recipe and tweaked the ingredients based on what I had on hand and the amount of ingredients I needed. They turned out amazing! I will never make ribs any other way from now on and I will no longer be intimidated by ribs!
- 2 racks baby back ribs
- 1 onion
- 4 cloves garlic
- 1/2 cup water
- Barbecue sauce
- 2 Tbsp paprika
- 2 Tbsp brown sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp lemon pepper
- 1 tsp salt
- Combine all of the ingredients of the Rib Rub together well.
- Remove the silver membrane on the back of the ribs. Cut ribs into more manageable pieces for the crock pot. I usually cut mine into sections of two ribs.
- Add water to the crock pot. Coat ribs in the Rib Rub evenly and add to the crock pot with the onion and garlic.
- Cover ribs in a thin layer of barbecue sauce.
- Cook ribs on low for 8 – 10 hours or until tender.
- Add ribs to baking sheet and brush on a thin layer of barbecue sauce. Place sheet of ribs in the oven under the broiler until they reach a desired crispiness.