I’ve always wanted to make my own queso, but thought there’s no way I could get close to restaurant recipes… until now! I altered a recipe from Sumptuous Spoonfuls using ingredients I already had on hand and it turned out AMAZING!
- 1/2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 cup chopped onion (I didn’t have a fresh onion on hand, so I used frozen diced onion and it worked out great!)
- 2-3 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 oz cream cheese (I think I had lower fat cream cheese, so that’s what I used for this recipe)
- 6 oz quesadilla cheese, shredded
- 4 oz pepper jack cheese, shredded (I didn’t happen to have any on hand, so I used colby jack instead)
- 1/2 – 1 cup heavy cream
- 2-4 Tbsp jalapeno, to taste (optional)
- 3 Tbsp salsa, or to taste
- 1/4 – 1/3 cup finely chopped cilantro, optional (I planned on using the cilantro, but loved it without, so I used it for garnish)
- In a medium saucepan, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the onion and garlic and saute until tender and translucent.
- Reduce heat to medium low and stir in the cream cheese, quesadilla cheese and pepper jack cheese along with 1/2 cup of the whipping cream. Stir until the cheeses melt, then stir in the chopped jalapeno and salsa. Taste and add more jalapeno and/or salsa for heat and fresh cilantro (optional).
- If the dip is too thick for your liking, stir in some more whipping cream (or milk) until it is the desired consistency. Serve warm with tortilla chips.
2 thoughts on “Easy Stovetop Queso”