This recipe checks all of the boxes: great, healthy ingredients, filling, and easy and quick to make. A friend gave me this recipe from Life Love Liz and it’s definitely one of our favorites. Now that warmer weather is headed our way, this is a great weeknight meal. We love our leftovers, so I sometimes double the amount of ground turkey in this recipe. Adjust the ingredients according to your family’s needs and tastes-it’s totally customizable!
- 3 small or 2 large sweet potatoes, peeled and diced (about 3 cups)
- 1 lb ground turkey
- 1 yellow bell pepper (or whatever color you prefer)
- 1 cup onion, diced
- ½ cup mozzarella, shredded
- ½ cup water
- ¼ cup cilantro, chopped
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 ½ Tbsp ground cumin
- 1 Tbsp garlic, minced
- 1 tsp chili powder
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp pepper
- In a large cast iron skillet, heat olive oil over medium-high heat. Add garlic and cook for 1 minute and then add ground turkey. Use a wooden spoon to break apart meat and continue cooking approximately 8 minutes until browned.
- Add cumin, chili powder, salt and pepper. Stir well to incorporate.
- Add onion and bell pepper, and cook for 3-4 minutes.
- Add diced sweet potato and water. Stir and cover with a lid for approximately 6-8 minutes until the sweet potatoes soften. Add additional water during this process if needed to keep the meat from drying out.
- Remove lid and add additional salt and pepper if needed. Top with shredded mozzarella and allow it to melt. Remove skillet from heat and garnish with fresh cilantro before serving.